PRIORITY PROJECT: Fourth train service to Warrnambool
The rail network between Melbourne and Warrnambool is in dire need of upgrade. The Warrnambool Passenger Services Intergovernmental Working Group has identified seven priorities for service upgrades:
- Four return services daily, Warrnambool to Melbourne – a shuttle service rather than a direct service is supported, in-principle;
- No disruption to existing freight services utilising the line and allowing for growth in the freight task into the future;
- A journey time from Warrnambool to Geelong not exceeding two hours;
- Maintained timetable coordination between regional coach services;
- Guaranteed seating at a transit point in Geelong for Melbourne bound passengers;
- Real time travel information systems at key stations;
- Improved car parking facilities in Warrnambool.
There is also need for upgrades to the Warrnambool station and rolling stock.